Our goal is to help Luis ”El Tiante” Tiant become a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame.
This is a two-step process:
We have to help put his name on the “ballot” created by the Historical Overview Committee. The ballot will be completed by the World Series.
Then the “Modern Era” Committee will vote on the ballot during the winter meetings.
We can help Luis by writing letters to the Historical Overview Committee.
In our letters we should address three major topics about Luis Tiant:
– his character and sportsmanship
– his record, achievements and awards
– how his record compares to other pitchers in the Hall of Fame.
I have attached a sample letter that you can modify.
His character and sportsmanship:
– He was a college baseball coach at the Savannah College of Art and Design
– He speaks to different groups, like our group at The Villages
– He is a great story teller about baseball and its culture.
– 3-time AL All-Star (1968, 1974 & 1976)
– 1972 AL Comeback Player of the Year Award
– 2-time AL ERA Leader (1968 & 1972)
– 3-time AL Shutout Leader (1966, 1968 & 1974)
– 15 Wins Seasons: 6 (1968 & 1972-1976)
– 20 Wins Seasons: 4 (1968, 1973, 1974 & 1976)
– 200 Innings Pitched Seasons: 8 (1967-1969, 1973-1976 & 1978)
– 300 Innings Pitched Seasons: 1 (1974)|
– 200 Strikeouts Seasons: 3 (1967, 1968 & 1973.
Comparison of his record to other pitchers in the Hall of Fame:
– He has more winning games (229) than Rich Gossage (124) and Rollie Fingers (114)
– His Win-Loss Percentage (0.571) is greater than Bert Blyleven (0.534) and Rollie Fingers (0.491)
– His ERA (3.3) is better than Dennis Eckersley (3.5) and Fergie Jenkins (3.34)
– He has more complete games (187) than Catfish Hunter (181) and Don Sutton (178)
– He has less earn runs (1280) than Bert Blyleven (1830) and Don Sutton (1914)
– He has more strike outs (2416) than Jim Palmer (2212) and Rich Gossage (1502)
– He has faced more batters (14,365) than Catfish Hunter (14,032) and Dennis Eckersley (13,534)
Address for the Committee:
|Historical Overview Committee|
|Baseball Hall of Fame|
|25 Main Street|
|Cooperstown, NY 13326|
|This committee determines which players will be placed on a ballot for consideration|
|They will make a decision before the 2017 World Series. It will be announced after the Series.|
Your Address Add your address
July XX, 2017 Fill in the date
Historical Overview Committee
Baseball Hall of Fame
25 Main Street
Cooperstown, New York 13326
RE: The selection of Mr. Luis Tiant for the Hall of Fame ballot for the Modern Era Committe
I am writing to support the selection of Mr. Luis Tiant for the ballot for the Modern Era Committee. This recommendation is based on the following observations and research.
I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Tiant during a presentation he gave to our Florida baseball club. His background is broad covering many cultures, experiences and interactions with many fans. He is an excellent story teller with great adventures to share. Luis is a wonderful ambassador of baseball.
In reviewing his record I found many of his accomplishments that should earn him membership in the Hall of Fame. These include:
For 4 seasons he was in the top 10 for Earned Run Average
Lead Earned Run Average for 2 years
For 5 seasons he was in the top 10 for wins
For 4 seasons he was in the top 10 for win-loss %
In comparing Luis’ records to other Hall of Famer pitchers I found the following:
He has more winning games (229) than Rich Gossage (124) and Rollie Fingers (114)
His win-loss percentage (0.571) is greater than Bert Blyleven (0.534) and Rollie Fingers (0.491)
His ERA (3.3) is better than Dennis Eckersley (3.5) and Fergie Jenkins (3.34)
He has less earned runs (1280) than Bert Blyleven (1830) and Don Sutton (1914)
He has more strike outs (2416) than Jim Palmer (2212) and Rich Gossage (1502)
Mr. Tiant has established himself as a remarkable player, worthy of membership in the Baseball Hall of Fame. For these reasons, I support the selection of Mr. Luis Tiant for consideration of the Modern Baseball Era Committee.
Thank you on behalf of baseball fans everywhere.
Thanks for your help!
For more information or for questions contact:
|Charlie Durante 352.350.6270|
|Send me an e-mail when you have sent a letter: TiantHOF@gmail.com|